The middleweight bout will headline a card expected to take place at a yet-to-be determined venue in Canada on April 16. Fox Sports first reported news of the pairing. MMAWeekly.com sources later confirmed that the fighters have verbally agreed to the bout.
The match-up, according to the report, is dependent on Bisping (24-5) recovering from an injury that put him out of action late in 2013. The British fighter has been sidelined with a detached retina since last October, when he was pulled from a scheduled fight with Mark Munoz.
Kennedy (17-4) has been vocal about wanting to face Bisping upon the injured fighter’s return. From tweets tagging Bisping to on-record interviews, Kennedy has done all but force the fighter into signing a contract in an effort to make the fight happen.
UFC officials are yet to announce the Bisping-Kennedy fight, and had no comment when contacted by MMAWeekly.com on Sunday.
Bisping has been one of the most sought-after opponents in the middleweight division, if not the UFC. Most recently, Luke Rockhold called out “The Count,” following the former Strikeforce middleweight champ’s win at UFC Fight Night 35.
“A lot of people are calling him out, but Bisping went on national TV and told everybody he’s the unofficial Strikeforce champion,” Rockhold said earlier this week. “He calls it a joke … but I say he’s got bad taste and he needs to pay for it.”
But if the UFC’s plan works out, Rockhold will have to wait to get what he wants, and Kennedy will get to welcome Bisping back to the Octagon.
MMAWeekly.com will have more news on the middleweight match-up as more information becomes available.(Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter)