by Jeff Cain – MMAWeekly.com
6,754 spectators were in attendance at HDNet Fights’ second event at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas, TX Saturday night. In the main event, Jason “Mayhem” Miller avenged his previous loss to Tim Kennedy with a unanimous decision victory. In the co-main event, Frank “Twinkle Toes” Trigg defeated Edwin Dewees by submission.
The rematch between Jason “Mayhem” Miller and Tim Kennedy did not disappoint. The three round war that was undoubtedly the fight of the night had the crowd on it’s feet. Miller lost the first round but took the last two opening up a cut on the bridge of Kennedy’s nose that nearly stopped the fight on two occasions securing a unanimous decision, 29-28 on all three judges’ scorecards.
In the co-main event, Edwin Dewees came out landing leg kicks to Frank Trigg who stalked Dewees. Catching a kick from Trigg, Dewees took the fight to the ground but found himself trapped in a Kimura forcing him to eventually tap out. The Kimura victory marked the first win by submission hold for Trigg in more than seven years.
Yves Edwards defeated Alonzo Martinez in the second round by rear naked choke, but it was Martinez who set the pace of the fight in the first round. Heading into the second round Edwards was behind on all three judges’ scorecards but changed the course of the fight with a well-placed left hand that sent Martinez to the canvas. Yves then took Martinez’ back and secured a rear naked choke that forced the end of the bout.
Texas native Pete Spratt looked impressive in his TKO win over Tristan Yunker. Spratt fended off Yunker’s first takedown attempt. When Yunker got the fight to the ground, Spratt reversed him and launched a devastating display of ground and pound that would result in a cut that halted the fight after Yunker motioned to the referee that he could no longer continue.
Kyzysztof Soszynski defeated Robert Villegas by disqualification. Villegas won the first round on three judges’ scorecards by landing several leg kicks. After suffering a foot injury, Villegas continually fell to his back in the second round without being punched in one of the strangest displays in recent memory. After being warned by the referee, Villegas did it again and was subsequently disqualified.
HDNet Fights put on a top notch night of fights in it’s second event. It was announced at the post-fight press conference that they plan to hold their third card on Feb. 15 possibly featuring a rematch between Frank Trigg and Jason “Mayhem” Miller.
- Marcus Lanier def. Lee King by submission (arm bar) at 2:59, R2
- Liam McCarty def. Jason House by TKO (cut) at 3:00, R3
- Jay White def. Patrick Castillo by submission (arm bar) at :50, R1
- Nissen Osterneck def. Freddie Espiricueta by TKO at 2:30, R1
- Cory Mahon def. Chris Bowles by submission (arm bar) at 4:20, R2
- Pete Spratt def. Tristan Yunker by verbal submission at 1:38, R1
- Kyzysztof Soszynski def. Robert Villegas by DQ at 3:15, R2
- Yves Edwards def. Alonzo Martinez by submission (rear naked choke) at 3:04, R2
- Frank Trigg def. Edwin Dewees by submission (shoulder lock) at 1:40, R1
- Jason Miller def. Tim Kennedy by unanimous decision at 5:00, R3