Marcus Davis Proves He’s Still Got Tread on the Tires with Win Over Pete Spratt

June 14, 2011
1 Comment
Marcus Davis at UFC 118

Marcus Davis at UFC 118

It might not have been pretty, but Marcus “Irish Hand Grenade” Davis earned his second win in a row at this past weekend’s MFC 30 event in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

“I had a plan that I kind of had to stick to going into this fight,” said Davis. “It was the last fight on my contract with the MFC, so it was important that I came away with the win.

“I had to be careful is all. I’ve watched the fight over and over again, and saw some things I could have done in retrospect, but you can’t turn back time. As much as I would have liked to have gone in there and finish Pete, I had to make sure the main thing was that I won.”

While he defeated Pete Spratt four years ago in the UFC, Davis told MMAWeekly.com he was expecting a different fight the second time around, and got it.

“We’re not the exact same guys we were then,” Davis said. “I think his ground game has improved more obviously than it was then. He’s a whole lot harder to hold down and keep down.

“He was real smart on some things I was trying to set up when I got top half-guard, and in order to get what I needed, I couldn’t get my hands where I needed to get them. He was good at defending and did some smart things.”

While the ground game has been an issue for Spratt in the past, Davis feels this is no longer the case and admitted he had to be mindful of that during the fight.

“He gave me his back, but I didn’t want to take his back and ride it like I would typically,” said Davis. “I know he’s been rear naked choked in the past, but now he’s gotten a lot better at defending that, so I didn’t want to make the mistake of riding his back and having him turn-in and then me be on bottom.

“Everyone knows how easily I open and cut, so I didn’t want to take the chance of taking an elbow, getting opened right up and the fight being stopped. Once again, I had to stick to my plan we had in that fight and won the fight.”

With two wins in the MFC, Davis hopes to continue with the promotion, if not, then he intends to keep busy both inside and outside the ring.

“It’s only been a couple of days, but the MFC hasn’t called my manager yet that I know of,” said Davis. “He hasn’t emailed me and said anything about an offer yet, but I’m sure we’ll hear something soon from the MFC. If we don’t, we’ll start shopping around to different places.

“Hopefully I’ll be fighting again by September. As long as I have an immediate goal for myself, I can do all the different businesses I’m involved in and keep my fighting career going.”

Since his release from the UFC earlier this year, Davis has proven there’s still tread left on the tires by getting on a winning streak, and looks to keep things rolling for the foreseeable future.

“I want to thank my sponsors and everybody like Joe Cavallaro, Garth Crane, Mark DellaGrotte, and Jorge Gurgel that’s been looking out for me that I really appreciate it,” said Davis in closing.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen here for the next step, but I hope we can renegotiate with the MFC and step forward there. I’ll try to keep having more entertaining fights than I’ve been having and get some wins under my belt.”

  • iowafightfan

    Davis has definitely lost a step as he has gotten older, but I think he is a good fit in the MFC (which is made up mostly of fighters that are released from the UFC due to losses). He can compete there and be a good draw for the MFC. I doubt he will ever hold a title (in the MFC, or any other organization), but has the potential to make some pretty entertaining match ups with his typically exciting striking.