by Damon Martin – MMAWeekly.com
While the door to move back to the 205-pound division is still open, it appears Anderson Silva’s next fight will likely be another middleweight title defense, possibly against Thales Leites in February.
UFC president Dana White mentioned the fight when answering queries at a question and answer session in North Carolina on Tuesday.
“We’re working on that right now,” White said about Silva’s next fight. “We’re trying to set up a fight with him in February, hopefully, and we’re thinking about Thales Leites.”
Silva had been rumored as going back to the light heavyweight division against everybody from Chuck Liddell to one of the four top 205-pound fighters competing at UFC 93.
While nothing is concrete or signed at this point, based on White’s comments, it appears Silva will take a crack at defending his title for a fifth consecutive time.
As for Leites, he has won his last five fights in a row over opponents such as Drew McFedries and Nate Marquardt, while working towards a possible title shot.
“I think I’m almost there,” Leites told MMAWeekly.com in early November about his championship hopes. “And I will keep doing my homework every time and going step by step until the title shot.”
Those final steps may have already been taking if this fight comes to fruition.