Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

- KIMO FAILS DRUG TEST, WILL NOT FIGHT BAS RUTTEN

Posted on by MMAWeekly.com Staff

by Jeff Cain – MMAWeekly.com
Kimo Leopoldo has been pulled from the co-main event of the WFA’s King of the Streets card due to his failure of a pre-fight drug test, and the WFA is currently attempting to secure a replacement.

Wes Sims, who had tentatively agreed on Thursday night to be Kimo’s replacement in the fight against Bas Rutten, will reportedly not be fighting on the WFA card. Sims was told that the California State Athletic Commission’s rules would not allow him to compete twice within a seven-day span, which means that he would have to pull out of his scheduled fight on the WEC’s Ryan Bennett Memorial Event on July 28th in order to take the WFA co-main event fight. Mark Coleman reportedly told Sherdog’s Josh Gross that Sims has chosen to fight on the WEC card, which would mean that he would not be allowed to fight on the WFA card.

In a statement regarding Kimo’s positive drug test, WFA CEO Jeremy Lappen said, “The California Athletic Commission has informed the World Fighting Alliance that Kimo Leopoldo has tested positive for a banned substance and therefore is not eligible for his July 22 bout with Bas Rutten at the Forum in Los Angeles. The WFA is a fighter-first organization, so Kimo’s disqualification is a disappointment for our entire family of fighters.”

After his fight against Ken Shamrock at UFC 48 in mid-2004, Kimo tested positive for the anabolic steroid Stanozolol in his post-fight drug test. Kimo was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and served his suspension, but he hasn’t fought in the continental United States since then. As a result of the 2004 drug test failure, Kimo would have to pass a pre-fight drug test before he could be licensed to fight again in Nevada or California. Kimo failed this pre-fight drug test and will not be allowed to fight on this weekend’s WFA card as a result.

Though the statement from the WFA only says that Kimo “tested positive for a banned substance,” the Wrestling Observer reports that Kimo once again tested positive for the anabolic steroid Stanozolol. Though there is a common belief among users of Stanozolol that one can get it out of his or her system within a few weeks, many of these same people then fail drug tests when they find out that traces of Stanozolol can actually be detected in your system for more than six months after you’ve stopped taking it.

The WFA’s CEO, Jeremy Lappen, said that while Kimo’s positive test is a disappointment, it is also “a reminder that the WFA and Mixed Martial Arts is a professional sport, governed by the same rules as other major sports leagues. This situation, while disappointing, validates the steps we are taking as an organization and a sport to ensure the integrity of competition.”

Click Login To Post A Comment Login