The rumors of Jose Aldo’s defection to the UFC have been going on for several months now. With the featherweight champion’s recent destruction of Manny Gamburyan, the Brazilian has made no secret his eventual desire to test himself at 155 pounds, possibly in the UFC.
Last week, UFC president Dana White commented about the likelihood of bringing Aldo over from the WEC and seeing how he’d do against the best of the best in the lightweight division.
“From what I’m hearing, Jose Aldo’s interested in testing himself at 155 pounds. So probably very soon,” White responded about a possible move for the Brazilian to the UFC.
In a recent interview with Tatame.com, Aldo said he was offered the chance to move over to the UFC and a potential showdown with top lightweight contender Kenny Florian. Aldo went on to say that he would likely face WEC featherweight fighter Mark Hominick instead.
“They made the proposal. I want to fight, it can be at WEC or in the UFC,” Aldo said in the interview about the Florian fight.
According to the report, Aldo’s managers opted to turn down the fight with Florian and remain at 145 pounds for at least one more championship bout.
While nothing has been determined about either fighter’s next appearance, as far as Kenny Florian’s side, they would love a shot at Jose Aldo in his UFC debut.
Speaking with MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday, Florian’s manager, Malki Kawa, admitted that they’ve never been offered a fight against Aldo, but would welcome the chance to face the Brazilian in the UFC.
“I heard the rumor and we would take the fight if it would have been (offered),” Kawa responded via text message. “Actually, we really want that fight.”
Florian had been rumored to face Evan Dunham in a lightweight fight in Febuary during the UFC 126 Super Bowl weekend card, but that fight hasn’t yet come to fruition.
Jose Aldo’s camp was not available for comment at the time of publication.