UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos is likely to get a new opponent for his planned May 26 title defense at UFC 146 in Las Vegas, and he’s finally talking about it.
His original opposition, Alistair Overeem, failed a surprise drug test following last week’s UFC 146 kickoff press conference. Overeem, along with dos Santos and the four other fighters taking part in the promotional junket, were surprised immediately after by Nevada State Athletic Commission officials demanding a urine sample for screening.
Overeem was the sole fighter of the six tested to return a positive result. His testosterone to epitestosterone ratio measured 14 to 1, according to NSAC executive director Keith Kizer. The allowed limit in Nevada is 6 to 1.
Overeem has the right to request his “B” sample, a second sample taken at the time of the test, be measured to try and refute the “A” sample results, but if history is any indicator, his “B” sample is unlikely to return a significantly different result.
Though he has yet to go before the commission, Overeem is currently unlicensed in Nevada and this test result is expected to result in a denial of license with the inability to re-apply in that state, likely for the next year. A final determination won’t come until the Nevada commission reviews his case.
Nearly everyone even remotely involved, save for Overeem and dos Santos, quickly went on record with their thoughts.
Former champion Frank Mir, who is slated to fight in a No. 1 contender’s bout against Cain Velasquez on the UFC 146 fight card, immediately threw his name in the hat to be considered should Overeem be unable to fight.
“I am beyond pissed about this,” White told theStarPhoenix.com. “The worst part is that he sat in front of us and lied to us.
“How (expletive) stupid do you have to be? Seriously dumb. Anybody who’s using right now is an absolute (expletive) moron.”
While dos Santos was quiet for the first few days following the reports, he took to his official Twitter account on Thursday to comment.
“I am professional and I’m champion without ever having used anything for better performance. When you guys see me fighting, that’s really me,” he wrote.
“About what happened to Overeem, I don’t know anything more than you guys know and for me it’s between him and the Nevada Athletic Commission.”
Thus far, all the pundits, MMAWeekly.com included, believe that Frank Mir is the leading candidate to replace Overeem should he be precluded from fighting, and in all likelihood, he will be precluded from fighting on May 26.
dos Santos doesn’t know what the future holds, but said that his training camp is still focused on fighting Overeem. That is likely to change rather quickly, unless Overeem’s case takes a surprising turn in the opposite direction.
Until things shake out, dos Santos will continue training, planning for a fight against… someone, taking care of the one thing he does know about.
“I know a lot about me, that’s it!”
© 2012 MMA Weekly All Rights Reserved.