Following Successful Invicta Debut, Amy Cadwell Montenegro Ready for All Comers

March 10, 2015
Comments off

Following five years of building her reputation in the Northwest fight scene, female 115-pound fighter Amy Cadwell Montenegro finally got her opportunity to step up to the national stage at Invicta FC 11 on Feb. 27.

In what was one of her toughest tests to date, Montenegro managed to get a unanimous decision victory over prospect Brianna Van Buren.

> SEE ALSO: Invicta FC 11 Results: Cyborg Keeps Hopes of Ronda Rousey Fight Alive

“That morning I woke up and I just felt like I was going to win; I knew I was going to win,” Montenegro told “We got there and through the warm-ups I felt perfect. It was just a really good experience.

“Brianna is super-tough. She’s a young up-and-comer, so I feel like it was a really good win. It was a tough, grueling fight. We spent most of the fight up against the fence. I was able to improve on my clinch work a lot and got the win.”

> SEE ALSO: Watch Montenegro’s Fight and the Other Prelim Bouts (video)

Montenegro’s win was not only a big step for her, but for her entire support system as well.

“It was really huge for me, especially being someone who had been around the Northwest fight circuit for a long time,” said Montenegro. ”This is something that I’ve wanted and worked towards for a long time not only for me, but for my family.

“My husband fights, and our two girls compete as well and want to fight when they get older, so this was huge for all of us. It was huge for my team and my management as well.”

Now that she has her opportunity on a big stage, Montenegro plans on making the most of it in 2015.

“I’m on a 60-day medical suspension because of the cut above my eye, but I’m really hoping and praying to get on the Invicta card in July in Las Vegas,” she said. “I’m willing to fight anybody at strawweight. My record is 6-1 and I feel I’m ready to take on anyone on the roster.”

Follow on FacebookTwitter and Instagram

Comments are closed.