Fedor Emelianenko‘s time under the Zuffa umbrella has come to an end.
The former Pride champion and Russian legend has been released from Strikeforce following his third loss in a row, the latest coming by way of TKO to Dan Henderson this last weekend in Chicago.
UFC president Dana White on Thursday confirmed his release to MMAWeekly.com.
“Yeah, he’s being cut,” White confirmed. “You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, I said he was overrated for years.”
Emelianenko’s legendary undefeated run first came to a halt when he faced Fabricio Werdum last year, and after clipping the Brazilian early in the fight, he was submitted by triangle choke.
Bouncing back earlier this year, Emelianenko entered the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix where he met Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and was simply overmatched by power and size. The fight was stopped after the seond round as Emelianenko suffered huge swelling in and around his eye.
The final nail in the coffin came at Strikeforce this weekend when he lost to current light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson in a special heavyweight attraction. Fedor dropped Henderson with a good punch, but in the scramble to finish the fight, he found himself on the bad end of a Henderson uppercut.
Emelianenko went limp, falling flat to the mat and referee Herb Dean rushed in to stop the fight.
The loss resulted in three in a row for Emelianenko, who stated following the fight that he was undecided what the future held for him.
The future doesn’t hold Strikeforce for Emelianenko after being released.
According to White, he believes Emelianenko’s contract was up anyway, which paved the way for him not to come back to the promotion.
“Yeah, I think so as far as I know,” White said about Emelianenko’s contract.
White also stated he had no conversations at all with Emelianenko or his camp, and has stayed out of the situation since Zuffa purchased Strikeforce earlier this year.
© 2011 MMA Weekly All Rights Reserved.