- DEVELA DRAWS ROCKHOLD FOR STRIKEFORCE CHALLENGERS

May 27, 2009
Comments off

by MMAWeekly.com Staff
The second installment of Strikeforce Challengers Series has one more bout on its roster.

Cory Devela (9-2), who last competed against Terry Martin at Strikeforce at the Mansion 2 last September, will take on fellow Strikeforce vet Luke Rockhold (4-1) in a middleweight fight at the ShoWare Center in Kent, Wash., on June 19.

Devela, 24, is a protégé of veteran Dennis Hallman, who is expected to fight alongside his student at the Pacific Northwest event. Devela eventually fell to Martin’s punches in the third round of the Playboy Mansion fight, and has since wanted redemption. Last February, he had built momentum by stopping Joe Riggs with a hip toss that re-injured the veteran fighter’s back.

“I just want to show people that my win against Joe Riggs wasn’t a fluke and that I should have beaten Terry Martin and that I’m a power to be reckoned with,” said Devela.

Rockhold, 24, trains out of American Kickboxing Academy and has notched all of his professional wins by first round submission. He last competed on the undercard of Strikeforce’s “Shamrock vs. Diaz,” choking out Buck Meredith.

“I didn’t take too much time off after that fight,” said Rockhold. “I stayed in shape and this is one of the best training camps I’ve had so far.”

A middleweight match-up between Joey Villasenor and Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos headlines the event.

Comments are closed.