Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Despite Having Suffered Three KO Losses In a Row, Gray Maynard Intends to Continuing Fighting

Posted on by Jeff Cain

29-Gray-Maynard-TUF-18-Finale-w-478x270After suffering his third knockout loss in a row at UFC Fight Night 47 on Aug. 16, many have called for former lightweight title contender Gray Maynard to retire.

Maynard’s manager, David Martin, informed UFC Tonight that his client plans to continue competing in the UFC despite his recent string of defeats.

Just three years ago, in 2011, Maynard nearly became the lightweight champion. He fought then-titleholder Frankie Edgar to a five-round draw at UFC 125. The two were quickly booked for a rematch. Edgar knocked out Mayard at UFC 136 to retain his belt. It was Maynard’s first career loss and the first time he had been knocked out.

He rebounded from the loss with a split decision win over Clay Guida in his next outing in June 2012. It was the last time the 35-year-old won a fight. TJ Grant and Nate Diaz knocked out Maynard in the first round while Ross Pearson finished the All-American NCAA wrestler in the opening moments of the second stanza.

During the UFC Fight Night 47 post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White said he planned on speaking with Maynard about whether or not he should walk away from competing.

“Obviously he came here to fight, and he’s been cleared medically to fight, I think the kid is healthy,” said White. “But, you know, it’s probably a discussion we might have. I’m not looking to chase Gray out of the game or anything like that. I’ll talk to him though.”

“These guys go through extensive medical testing and we know getting knocked out isn’t good for you. But we’ll see. He’s a young guy, he’s talented, we’ll see what he wants to do,” added the UFC president.

It appears Maynard has made up his mind and wants to continue to fight.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.