- DESPITE CONCUSSION, LOMBARD WANTS FIGHT

September 30, 2009
Comments off

by Steven Marrocco – MMAWeekly.com
Bellator Fighting Championships middleweight champion Hector Lombard has met a delay in his return to the cage.

The 31-year-old Cuban native was due to face UFC veteran Kalib Starnes at
Cage Fighting Championships on Oct. 9 in Sydney, Australia, but last week suffered a concussion and serious head cut in training that Wednesday led his doctor to bench him for three weeks.

“I wanted to fight, but the doctor said ‘no fight,'” Lombard told MMAWeekly.com. “It’s a pretty bad concussion.”

The CFC has cancelled the show in the wake of Lombard’s injury and rescheduled it for Nov. 20. Lombard says he’s game to fight then, though he will wait to field offers from his manager.

“I would like to fight every month,” he said. “Maybe six fights, seven fights (in 2010), no problem. I want to fight the best: Jake Shields, Nick Diaz, anybody that can give me contention for a belt.”

According to one MMAWeekly.com source, Lombard could meet Starnes at the rescheduled event, though nothing has been finalized. Lombard’s Bellator contract is exclusive, but the promotion maintains an open door policy with fights it approves.

Known at American Top Team for his pedal-to-the-metal sparring style, Lombard said he would continue to work hard when his unofficial suspension was over.

“I train the way I fight,” he said. “The way you fight is the way you train. You train hard; you fight hard. You train soft; you don’t fight the same. These things are going to happen to you regardless.”

Comments are closed.