UFC president Dana White inked two more of his Tuesday Night Contender Series fighters to UFC contracts. After their submission wins in week 6 of the weekly web series, Grant Dawson and Charles Byrd earned their way to the big show.
“It’s a no brainer,” White said about signing the 23-year-old Dawson. “Dawson is an absolute beast. I was very impressed with him. He’s young, but his record is incredible. He absolutely dominated.”
Byrd (9-4) fought in week 1 of DWTNCS winning by arm-triangle choke in the first round but was not offered a UFC contract. He came back on Tuesday and scored another finish.
“I have a lot of respect for Charles for coming back and doing it again. I have a lot of respect for that. He’s in. I’m going to do it. I’m going to give him a shot,” said White. “The fact that he came right back again, dominated, and finished both fights. I respected that he wanted to do it again, so I’m going to give him a shot.”
(Courtesy of UFC)
Following his submission win over Bubba Wallace, Byrd stated that he felt like he needed a another finish to get White’s attention. He went out and did just that.
Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series Week 6 Results:
– Charles Byrd def. Bubba Wallace by submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:03, R2
– Grant Dawson def. Adrian Diaz by submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:15, R2
– Cameron Olson def. Karl Reed by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
– Jaime Alvarez def. Martin Day by unanimous decision (28-27, 29-28, 29-27)
– Jamie Colleen def. Tiffany Masters by submission (armbar) at 4:43, R3