Dana White: Anthony Johnson Released (Updated)

January 15, 2012


A tumultuous weight cut will likely spell the end of Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson’s UFC career.

The former welterweight, who twice missed making the 171lb weight limit, bumped up to middleweight to hopefully cure some of those ills. On Friday, Johnson’s body crashed as he tried to cut the weight to make it down to 186lbs, and by weigh in time he had ballooned up to 197lbs.

UFC President Dana White was none too happy about the situation, and on Saturday night in Rio his opponent Vitor Belfort got 20-percent of Johnson’s fight purse, and submitted him to potentially end his UFC career.

Following the fights, UFC President Dana White spoke to Fuel TV about Johnson, and candidly said that this latest weight cutting snafu was probably the straw that broke the camel’s back.

“We are probably going to cut Anthony Johnson,” White said.

Johnson, who seemed exhausted by the middle part of the first round against Belfort, spoke to Fuel TV as well, obviously prior to White making his comments, but he tried to keep things positive following what had to be a devastating turn of events throughout the weekend.

“No excuses, Vitor was just a better fighter,” Johnson said. “I’m not here to make excuses, a fight is a fight. If you’re going to win, you’re going to win, if you’re going to lose, you’re going to lose and he was just more prepared than I was.”

Johnson was hopeful to get a second shot at Belfort according to his statement after the fight, but he might have to fight to keep his job at all.

“I want a rematch,” Johnson said. “But there’s so many great guys at 185, I would just like to keep fighting here. I don’t care who it is, I just want to fight.”

White didn’t slam the door on Johnson’s UFC career on Saturday night, but it’s hard to imagine a scenario where he gets another shot after his latest weight cutting nightmare come to life.

UPDATE: According to a report from MMAJunkie.com who spoke to UFC President Dana White following UFC 142, Anthony Johnson has been released from the promotion.

“Three strikes and you’re gone,” White said.

Johnson missed weight on Friday prior to UFC 142 in Brazil. He previously had two other incidents missing weight when he was competing at 170lbs.


Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.