If you’re waiting for Nick Diaz to return to the Octagon, don’t hold your breath.
UFC president Dana White on Saturday evening revealed that he made a fight offer to Diaz last week. Diaz, however, isn’t interested in cutting his retirement short for what the UFC is offering.
“I made the offer to them last week,” White told a group of reporters, following UFC Fight Night 32. “They called me back and said he’s retired.”
The rejection White got from Diaz is the latest in a slew of conversations between the UFC and the fighter’s management that end in “no thanks.” One of the most recent reported offerings to Diaz was a match-up against middleweight contender Michael Bisping. White said he loved that fight, but explained it wouldn’t happen based off his talks with Diaz’s representation.
“Everything I hear from Nick Diaz is that he doesn’t want to fight,” White said in Houston during the week leading up to UFC 166.
Diaz left the UFC – and fighting, apparently – after losing his opportunity for the UFC welterweight title in a March bout with champion Georges St-Pierre. The fighter reportedly said he would remain retired, only coming back to the UFC for big fights.
White wouldn’t reveal who he offered to Diaz and his management, but it apparently wasn’t big enough to lure the fighter out of the comfort of his Stockton, Calif., home.
(Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter)