Despite putting out an official announcement last week, Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira will not be headlining the UFC 169 fight card on Super Bowl weekend after all.
UFC president Dana White on Monday said that Jones vs. Teixeira on Feb. 1 was “never, ever a done deal.”
It’s not that the fight won’t happen, it just won’t happen that weekend.
“That’s going to be later. That was never a done deal,” he continued. “Our people put it out, but they shouldn’t have.”
He went on to say that Jones and Teixeira would likely fight sometime around March, about the same time that Alexander Gustafsson is likely to fight again in either London or Sweden.
If Jones defeats Teixeira and Gustafsson wins his fight, we can expect to see a rematch of Jones and Gustafsson’s epic UFC 165 battle in Toronto. White said it was “100 percent” guaranteed that Jones and Gustafsson would rematch if each man wins his next fight.
UFC officials last week initially announced the UFC 169 fight card for Feb. 1 in Newark, N.J., with Jones vs. Teixeira headlining. A heavyweight bout pitting former champion Frank Mir against Alistair Overeem was moved from the UFC 167 card in November to the Super Bowl weekend event.
As it stands, there are no details on a date or location for Jones vs. Teixeira, leaving Mir vs. Overeem as the only bout announced for UFC 169.
© 2013 MMA Weekly All Rights Reserved.