Just a week ago, UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos had told UFC president Dana White that he wanted to face Overeem next instead of Cain Velasquez. The incumbent champion said he was tired of Overeem running his mouth, and that he was “a punk” and he wanted to silence him in the Octagon.
Overeem fired back in kind and gladly accepted the challenge, but the only problem is that he’s currently under suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission until late December.
White still seemed to like the idea of that fight taking place next, but whatever door was opened last week was closed with an emphatic thud on Saturday night.
The UFC president said after the UFC 150 post-fight press conference that they will match up Junior dos Santos against current top contender and former titleholder Cain Velasquez later this year. The proposed date for the fight is currently Dec. 29, but UFC officials have not stated any date is set in stone at this time for their year end show.
Velasquez earned the shot at dos Santos by defeating Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva at UFC 146 in May. He lost the UFC heavyweight title to dos Santos last November when he was knocked out in the first round.
Now, one fight later, he’ll get the chance to rectify that result and try to reclaim the belt.
Overeem will serve out the rest of his sentence and undoubtedly come back near the top of the division, but the only thing he knows for sure is that he won’t be the next fighter in line to face Junior dos Santos.