by Steven Marrocco – MMAWeekly.com
The on-again-off-again relationship between Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and the UFC may be on-again.
In a Tuesday report on graciemag.com, up-and-comer Junior Dos Santos says it is, by way of a fight with the Croatian MMA star at UFC 103. The bout would headline the Sept. 19 event hosted by the American Airlines Center in Dallas.
Dos Santos was originally scheduled to face Justin McCully at UFC 102 before being removed from the card.
“To me it’s incredible,” said the Brazilian. “When they asked me if they could change the fight date I was a bit bothered, because I wanted to fight right away. I’ve been away for some time now. But the Fertitta brothers asked me and I accepted. After that I found out it would be against Cro Cop and was overjoyed. It’ll be a big opportunity in my career. Lots of good things have happened in my life and this is one more. I’m going to make the most of it.”
Following a controversial win over Mustapha Al-Turk at UFC 99, Cro Cop made headlines by reportedly snubbing a two-fight UFC deal for a contract with Dream. The feared striker subsequently told Croatian news outlets that the snafu had been a misunderstanding and his decision to stray was based on the UFC’s offered timetable for future fights.
Late last week, Croatian website Index.hr reported that Lorenzo Fertitta flew to Cro Cop’s Zagreb home to re-establish contact and offer a new deal for his UFC return. The deal was reportedly “an offer he couldn’t refuse.”
According to MMAWeekly.com’s sources, Cro Cop has dropped out of an announced fight with Siala “Mighty Mo” Siliga at Dream 10 on July 20.
Though it’s conceivable that Cro Cop could make both fights, it appears he has chosen to remain inside the Octagon.
In the build-up to UFC 99, Cro Cop said a UFC title was in his sights.
“I just want to return to the top,” he said. ” I just want to prove to everyone that they were wrong.”