- CONDIT: WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET TO THE TOP

March 20, 2009
Comments off

by Damon Martin – MMAWeekly.com
Carlos Condit will forever be known as the last ever WEC welterweight champion. But the New Mexico native is hopeful to build onto his title legacy as he debuts in the UFC on April 1 and makes his assault on the top 170-pound fighters in the world.

Just a few months ago, Condit was working alongside his new teammates at Arizona Combat Sports preparing for a title fight against Brock Larson for the March WEC event. After suffering a sprained wrist in training, the champion knew he couldn’t be ready in time for the Larson fight. Then the call came in from the UFC offering him a chance to compete in the world famous Octagon, and headline the UFC Fight Night 18 event slated to kickoff the newest season of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

“WEC was an awesome vehicle for me to get my name out there. I fought some really tough opponents, and (they) put on some really good shows,” Condit said about his former fight promotion. “I think this is the natural progression for my career.

“I felt like I had done everything I could do in WEC at the time, and that’s not a bad reflection on them. They put quality opponents in front of me, but I won consistently.”

Now, he will step into the proverbial lion’s den of the UFC’s deepest weight class with the welterweights offering some of the toughest challenges in the sport, and one the best pound for pound fighter in the world, Georges St. Pierre, standing atop the list as champion.

The question has been consistently asked of Condit how he believes he would fare against those UFC welterweights. He’s ready to prove himself all over again.

“No more talk, it’s not just conjecture anymore. We get to find out,” he stated. “I get to get in there and really find out how I’m going to do.”

First up on the agenda for Condit is tough as nails fighter Martin Kampmann, who just recently made the move to the welterweight division after a great run as a middleweight in the UFC. The Danish fighter has dynamite in his hands and feet, but Condit readily admits he isn’t scared.

“I feel like I could go toe to toe with him. I’m not intimidated by his stand-up skills, but he’s dangerous,” he commented. “I’m definitely going to have to be on my toes.”

Rumors have circulated that with a win Condit could be on the fast track to contender’s status in the UFC’s welterweight division, but the “Natural Born Killer” isn’t jumping ahead just yet.

“I feel honored that they gave me a really tough opponent in Kampmann, he’s done really well in the UFC so far,” he said. “The good showing I had in the WEC kind of gave me a couple of steps up when I made the transition to the UFC.”

Still the ultimate goal for the last ever WEC champion is to once again have the gold around his waist.

“I want to be on top, whatever it takes,” Condit stated with confidence.

Carlos Condit will make his UFC debut on April 1 as the main event of UFC Fight Night 18 live from Nashville and on Spike TV.

Comments are closed.