- CONDIT BACK TRAINING, EXCITED TO FIGHT AGAIN

January 31, 2010
No Comments

by Damon Martin – MMAWeekly.com
Following back-to-back wars in his first two UFC fights, Carlos Condit was poised to make a big step forward when he was scheduled to face British knockout artist Paul Daley at UFC 108. Unfortunately, cleaning out the garage did Condit in for the fight, as he suffered a cut and a staph infection that left him hospitalized.

Just about everybody in MMA is used to the fact that fighters get injured, and sometimes aren’t able to compete. Condit had to deal with a very strange situation that led to his removal from the January card, and ultimately it was a scary ordeal that put him in for a lengthy hospital stay.

“I was kind of moving some stuff around in my garage and I had some old junk. I had a broken dry erase board, like a bulletin board type thing, and I picked it up to kind of toss it over to my trash pile. I kind of Frisbee tossed it, and it had a sharp piece of metal, kind of the surface of the dry erase board, and it sliced me real good,” Condit told MMAWeekly.com in an exclusive interview.

“Initially what happened was I went down to urgent care, got some stitches, and they said that I should be cool in a couple days, so nothing really changed for me.

“I was back to training and everything, but the next day my hand started swelling up and hurting like a son of a (expletive) and that’s kind of when I decided I wasn’t going to be able to do the fight and then a couple days later I went to see a hand specialist and they admitted me to the hospital right away cause I had a real bad staph infection.”

The staph infection put Condit in the hospital for a six-night stay. When he was released, he was still not able to train full on due to an IV that had to be administered for six weeks for antibiotics to fully flush out the infection.

With his hand finally healed and the hospital stay behind him, Condit is now back training at Greg Jackson’s gym in New Mexico and looking forward to a return to action.

“I’m getting back in the gym, I’m doing about one (practice) a day so far,” Condit said about his training.

The current news is that he will return to action in June to face upstart fighter Rory MacDonald in Vancouver at UFC 115. While the former WEC champion couldn’t comment on his next fight, he admits the timing would be right on.

“I think a month or so to get back in shape and then maybe two and a half months to three months to really hit a hard camp, it would be perfect,” Condit commented about a possible June 12 fight.

He is happy to get back to the business of fighting, but still has a score to settle with his last scheduled opponent, Paul Daley. After Condit was removed for the fight, Daley called the New Mexico fighter several unfriendly words, and claimed he really wasn’t hurt and was just avoiding the fight.

“I want a chance to shut that dude up, make him eat his words. I look forward to it,” said Condit about Daley. “He’s a (expletive) talker. That’s what he does, but whatever, I’ll get my chance.”

For now, Condit is back training at Jackson’s and ready to return to action in the welterweight division.

Comments are closed.