Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Chael Sonnen Blasts Wanderlei Silva, Says He Ran from Drug Test Ahead of UFC 175

Posted on by Erik Fontanez

Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlei SilvaChael Sonnen is no longer fighting Wanderlei Silva at UFC 175, but that hasn’t stopped the “American Gangster” from throwing verbal punches at his Brazilian nemesis.

Sonnen appeared on UFC Tonight on Wednesday and blasted Silva for eluding Nevada State Athletic Commission officials when the fighter was approached for a drug test last weekend in Las Vegas. Additionally, Sonnen indicated that he foresees the commission revoking Silva’s license to fight for what Sonnen described as a failed drug test.

“Wanderlei has operated his entire career under the shadow of suspicion that he was using performance-enhancing drugs. However, he has never failed a drug test, so we don’t speculate on those types of things,” Sonnen said on the FOX Sports 1 program. ”That clean record came to a screeching halt on Saturday night. Not only did he fail his test, he refused to take the test. And as you know, a refusal is equal in the eyes of the commission to a failure.

“He ran from the test … and I don’t mean that figuratively; I mean they came to his gym and he literally ran. He goes out of sight where they come after him, saying his name. I have not spoke to the athletic commission in Nevada, so here I am, going to speculate that they will revoke his license and perhaps his career with the UFC will be done.”

Attempts to reach Silva for comment went unanswered at the time of this publication.

A report earlier on Wednesday said that Silva failed to submit an application for a license to fight, while his UFC 175 replacement, Vitor Belfort, was able to submit one.

Belfort is considered the No. 1 UFC middleweight contender. As a result of the match-up with him, Sonnen said the Belfort bout will determine the next in line for a shot at the 185-pound title.

“I am now fighting a No. 1 contenders match,” he said. “The winner of my bout will take on the winner of Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida.”

UFC 175 is scheduled to take place on July 5 in Las Vegas, and is headlined by the Weidman-Machida title fight.

(Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter)

Follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.