Brock Lesnar’s next fight in the UFC still has not been determined, but one place he won’t be in 2011 is making a guest appearance in the WWE come Wrestlemania time.
Following his title loss to Cain Velasquez in October, Lesnar went on sabbatical to go hunting and get away from the fight game for a little while and also to spend time with his family. Since then, the questions continuously come in about when Lesnar could return. While UFC president Dana White has said nothing is on the table that might soon change.
Speaking to the media on Thursday, White plans on having a conversation with Lesnar’s team next week to start ironing out some details.
“Brock’s in the woods somewhere, in the middle of somewhere, and I haven’t talked to him,” White said. “He gets back this week or next week. I just talked to his guy when I was pulling in here today and they’re going to call me on Monday and we’ll figure out what’s next for Brock.”
No names have been mentioned as far as potential opponents yet, but despite a backlash from fans when the UFC suggested a third fight between Lesnar and former champion Frank Mir, it still may be in the cards.
“We were going to do the Frank Mir fight and it wasn’t very popular. We’ll see what happens; it could be Frank Mir,” White said. “I don’t know, we’ll see what happens.”
From real confrontations to scripted confrontations, Lesnar’s former employers at the WWE are reportedly interested in having him come back for an appearance at their annual show “Wrestlemania,” but White says that is one thing he is sure is not going to happen.
“He will not wrestle in Wrestlemania. Won’t happen, cause he’s under contract with me,” he stated.
The simple fact for the UFC president is having a former pro wrestler in mixed martial arts brings up enough questions without that person going back and doing more scripted performances for the WWE. While Lesnar has been successful as a fighter, White doesn’t want to take the chance that someone misconstrues his legitimacy if he goes back to pro wrestling… even for one night.
“I don’t want to blur those lines,” White commented. “First of all, him coming over and making the choice to leave the WWE and come here, we gave him that shot, which was a big risk on our part, the guy was 1-0. He’s done incredibly well. I don’t want him going back to the WWE, blurring the lines between what’s real and what’s not.”
Lesnar has posted pictures of his hunting trip online, but outside of that, the former UFC heavyweight champion has made little comment since his fight with Velasquez. He will likely return in the first half of 2011, but until the UFC has the official announcement, nothing is set in stone.
© 2010 MMA Weekly All Rights Reserved.