Brock Lesnar may be on a record pace. If Internet rumors were to be believed, the former UFC heavyweight champion and WWE superstar has been forced in and out of retirement too many times to count since he announced his second bout with diverticulitis.
Of course, he was also rumored for the first UFC on Fox main event, despite the fact that he hasn’t even returned to training yet.
Less than a month ago, when the UFC and Fox television deal was announced, UFC president Dana White told MMAWeekly.com, “Brock’s gonna get back in the gym in September. Brock will probably be back the first of the year.”
The rumor mill continued to crank away, however, churning out more talk of Lesnar’s demise, recent rumblings once again pointing to a forced retirement due to his health.
“That’s ridiculous. It’s so far from the truth it’s not even funny,” White blasted back on Friday when asked about the rumors.
“The guy is working up on a farm up in Canada all summer. He’s 100 percent. His surgery went great. He’s 100 percent. He’s getting back into training here in the next couple of weeks.”
Lesnar had surgery in late May to help him deal with a second bout of diverticulitis. The resurgence of the intestinal disorder kept him out of the main event of UFC 131 in Vancouver. He was to have fought Junior dos Santos for the number one contender spot in the UFC heavyweight division.
“They removed about 12 inches of his colon, repaired it, he feels great… the operation was a huge success,” White had said the day after Lesnar’s procedure.
So while the rumors continue to churn, and likely won’t stop anytime soon in our TMZ world, according to White, Lesnar is on track and should be stepping back in the Octagon sometime around the beginning of the New Year.
© 2011 MMA Weekly All Rights Reserved.