by Ken Pishna – MMAWeekly.com
Ultimate Fighting Championship and Pride Fighting Championships veteran Vitor Belfort has committed to fight for the new mixed martial arts event promoted by popular clothing brand Affliction, according to Victor Hugo Carvalho Leite, a representative of Belfort.
Although Affliction’s first event is scheduled for July 19 in Anaheim, Calif., Leite says that Belfort may not fight at the promotion’s debut, “We have not confirmed the date which he will be participating. But we believe that now it is the next event.”
Leite also stated that Belfort is planning, at the request of Affliction, to fight in the middleweight division. He has previously fought most of his career in the 205-pound light heavyweight division.
No proposed opponents for his first foray under the Affliction banner have been divulged at this point.
Belfort recently spent time training at the Chute Boxe Academy in Curitiba, Brazil. Although he is not currently an official member of the Chute Boxe team, Leite said that Belfort “was impressed with the structure and the organization of the group” and that “his full preparation (for his Affliction bout) will be made within the Chute Boxe Team.”
Having not fought since last September, he is on a two-fight winning streak. He most recently defeated James Zikic at Cage Rage 23 and Ivan Serati at Cage Rage 21.