Angela Lee made the first defense of her atomweight title at ONE: Warrior Kingdom and needed just under three rounds to take out undefeated challenger Jenny Huang and cement her status as one of the best female fighters in the history of Asian MMA.
Both female fighters came into this bout with undefeated records and big reputations to protect. Huang held her own for the first ten minutes of the fight, but found herself on the receiving end of a barrage of strikes from the champion.
Both fighters came into this bout with strong grappling credentials, but there was no sign of a takedown in the early exchanges as Lee pressed forwards and scored with kicks and punches. When the Singaporean finally decided to take the action to the ground in the third, she swiftly found a finish.
Lee took Huang down early in the third and was ruthless in her pursuit of the finish. She flattened the Taiwanese fighter out, took her back, and then attacked with a barrage of ground and pound that gave the referee no option but to step in and stop the fight.
The win takes Lee to 7-0 and cements her status as one of the most popular and marketable fighters on the ONE Championship roster. Huang drops to 5-1 after suffering the first defeat of her professional career.
In the co-main event, Thailand’s Shannon Wiratchai (7-1-0-1) demonstrated why he has been such a successful fighter for Asia’s biggest MMA promotion with a quickfire stoppage win over Filipino lightweight Richard Corminal (4-2).
Wiratchai suffered an early scare when the Filipino stunned him with a right hand, but the charismatic Thai bounced back to finish the fight with a flying knee followed by a barrage of punches that left Corminal clearly stunned.
Former strawweight champion Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke (6-2) was somewhat less fortunate. After losing the first two rounds to a takedown orientated Joshua Pacio (9-1), he came on strongly in the third, landing punches and kicks practically at will.
Pacio looked exhausted and unable to compete with the experienced Thai, but the work he had done in the previous two rounds was enough to earn a split decision win. The Filipino could be in line for a second title shot although he faces competition from Pongsiri Mitsitat (8-0), who won in impressive style earlier in the night.
ONE: Warrior Kingdom Official Results
- Atomweight World Championship: Angela Lee defeats Jenny Huang by TKO (Strikes) at 3:37 minutes of round 3
- Lightweight: Shannon Wiratchai defeats Richard Corminal by Knockout at 3:37 minutes of round 1
- Strawweight: Joshua Pacio defeats Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke by Split Decision (SD) after three rounds
- Catchweight (62.0kg): Yodsanan Sityodtong defeats Ramon Gonzales by Submission (Verbal) at 3:21 minutes of round 2
- Atomweight: Rika Ishige defeats Audreylaura Boniface by TKO (Strikes) at 4:32 minutes of round 1
- Featherweight: Sagetdao Petpayathai defeats Kelvin Ong by TKO (Strikes) at 2:20 minutes of round 1
- Featherweight: Ma Jia Wen defeats Yohan Mulia Legowo by TKO (Strikes) at 0:59 minutes of round 2
- Strawweight: Kritsada Kongsrichai defeats Adrian Matheis by Submission (Due to Strikes) at 2:51 minutes of round 1
- Strawweight: Pongsiri Mitsatit defeats Rabin Catalan by TKO (Strikes) at 4:45 minutes of round 1
(Follow @JamesGoyder on Twitter | Photos courtesy of ONE Championship)