Alistair Overeem is going to have to sit out until December 2012 for what he’s called an error in judgment after receiving a prescribed medical treatment that caused a spike in his testosterone levels prior to his scheduled bout with Junior Dos Santos at UFC 146.
Overeem tested positive for elevated testosterone and was effectively suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for 9 months for the transgression.
As he explained previously to the commission, Overeem says he had no idea that he was being injected with a substance that would increase his testosterone and so now he’s taking the necessary steps to make sure it never happens again.
“Well like I explained in front of the commission, the spike was due to medication that I received from a licensed doctor to help my injury. I did it. I took responsibility and stepped away from the title fight. And now, I am doing random testing with the commission to prove I am a legit fighter,” said Overeem on Tuesday night’s edition of UFC Tonight.
“Since I have joined ASM [Authentic Sports Management], we have a far better medical staff that advises me on treatments. I didn’t have that before. I am sure that this cannot happen again.”
While Overeem will continue to undergo random testing from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, he will also partake in testing of his own to hopefully help prove that he is a clean fighter once and for all.
“I want to show the world that I am a clean fighter. One test doesn’t say anything. But if you do the test every three to four weeks, than you prove to people that you are clean. You are being observed, and it is by different people who I don’t know every time, so there is no foul play. I am hoping that I can prove to the world that I am a clean fighter. I am also doing this for myself, my fans, and the commission to show that I am a clean fighter and ready to come back and fight for a title in the UFC,” said Overeem.
Overeem says he’s embracing the testing required while also undergoing testing of his own choice to help clear his name.
According to Overeem’s manager Glenn Robinson of Authentic Sports Management who spoke with MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday, Overeem’s test results will be sent directly to the Nevada State Athletic Commission for verification.
The hope is for Overeem to help clear his name after the allegations that landed squarely on his shoulders from the tests administered prior to his fight at UFC 146.
If everything goes well, Overeem is hopeful for a return to the UFC later this year to begin his quest for the heavyweight title once again.
“The commission told me at the hearing that it shouldn’t be a problem for me to get licensed when the nine months is over. I am pretty sure I will get licensed and I will fight,” said Overeem.
“Well, for me it doesn’t matter who I fight. I want to fight for the title. The title is my goal. Then I will have all the titles in the world. I’m hoping for (Junior) dos Santos because I think it would be an excellent fight.”
Overeem will just have to wait and see what the UFC will do with him once he returns, but one thing that still hasn’t been settled since his exit from the UFC 146 fight card is his strained relationship with UFC President Dana White.
White was visibly upset about Overeem’s positive test, going as far as calling the Dutch heavyweight a ‘liar’ and vowing that any future dealings would go through co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta.
At this time, Overeem admits he has not been in contact with White, but he’s out to prove his legitimacy after the situation arose with the commission a few months ago.
“I have not spoken to Dana personally. But he is a busy man, has a company to run and fans to take care of,” Overeem stated. “I respect Dana and I want to convince Dana through my actions that I am a legit fighter and through tests.”