by Ken Pishna – MMAWeekly.com
The California State Athletic Commission on Monday released the fighter salary information for Affliction “Banned,” featuring Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia, which took place on Saturday, July 19, at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
The following figures are based on the fighter salary information that promoters are required by law to submit to the state athletic commissions, including the winners’ bonuses.
Although mixed martial arts fighters do not have collective bargaining or a union, the fighters’ salaries are still public record, just as with every other major sport in the United States. Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.
In the listings below, “Main Event Fighters” are defined as fighters who compete in the main event of a show. “Main Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose fights appear on the main card, but not in the main event. “Preliminary Card Fighters” are defined as fighters whose matches take place before the live broadcast goes on the air, regardless of whether or not those matches end up airing on the TV or Internet broadcast.
MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS
– Fedor Emelianenko ($300,000/no win bonus) def. Tim Sylvia ($800,000)
MAIN CARD FIGHTERS
– Andre Arlovski ($750,000/$250,000 win bonus) def. Ben Rothwell ($250,000)
– Josh Barnett ($300,000/no win bonus) def. Pedro Rizzo ($70,000)
– Mark Hominick ($10,000/win bonus was $5,000) def. Savant Young ($7,000)
– Renato “Babalu” Sobral ($90,000/win bonus was $30,000) def. Mike Whitehead ($50,000)
– Matt Lindland ($300,000/win bonus was $75,000) def. Fabio “Negao” Nascimiento ($20,000)
– Antonio Rogerio Nogueira ($50,000/no win bonus) def. Edwin Dewees ($15,000)
– Mike Pyle ($20,000/win bonus was $5,000) def. J.J. Ambrose ($5,000)
PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS
– Vitor Belfort ($140,000/win bonus was $70,000) def. Terry Martin ($30,000)
– Paul Buentello ($80,000/win bonus was $20,000) def. Gary Goodridge ($25,000)
– Justin Levens ($6,000) vs. Ray Lizama ($3,000)*
*Bout did not take place. Total pay was negotiated.
AFFLICTION “BANNED” DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $3,321,000